- Building Permit- required for the following types of construction:
- New Construction - Buildings, carports, decks, fences, retaining walls, parking lots etc. (includes replacement of existing structures and prefabricated structures)
- Additions to Existing Structures (including rooms, porches, decks, garages, carports, driveways, fences, etc.)
- Remodels/Alterations (including interior projects involving framing)
- Accessory Structures (including detached garages, sheds, carports, swimming pools, fences, driveways, retaining walls, pergolas, etc.)
- Exceptions: Installation of vinyl siding over existing siding, replacement windows not involving enlargement of width of opening or reduction in size of openable area of windows in any required egress locations.
- Demolition Permit - Required for demolition of walls or structures
- Driveway Permit - Required for all driveway installation, expansion, or replacement (including gravel driveways)
- Electrical Permit - Required for all electrical work. (Exception: low-voltage and communications.)
- Excavation Permit - Required for all excavation within the right-of-way.
- Floodplain Development Permit - Required for all work within the 1% special flood hazard area (commonly known as 100-year floodplain) determined by FEMA flood maps.
- Grading Permit - Required for all earthwork exceeding disturbance of 1 acre or 500 cubic yards. (Projects disturbing more than 1 acre also require a Missouri Department of Natural Resources Land Disturbance Permit)
- Mechanical Permit - Required for installation, replacement, or alteration of mechanical systems (gas lines, duct work, exhaust systems, etc.)
- Plumbing Permit - Required for all plumbing work (Exception: in-place replacement of existing plumbing fixtures.)
- Stormwater Permit - Required for all new impervious surfaces
Building & Fire Codes
The City has adopted these International Building Codes for all construction projects within Jackson's city limits.
- 2014 National Electric Code (NEC) /City of Jackson 2014 NEC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International Building Code (IBC)/City of Jackson 2015 IBC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International Existing Building Code
- 2015 International Fire Code (IFC)/City of Jackson 2015 IFC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)/City of Jackson 2015 IFGC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International Mechanical Code (IMC)/City of Jackson 2015 IMC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International One and Two Family Dwelling Code/City of Jackson 2015 IRC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International Plumbing Code (IPC)/City of Jackson 2015 IPC Revisions (PDF)
- 2015 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)/City of Jackson 2015 ISPSC Revisions (PDF)
For all construction work being performed within the city right-of-way, the City of Jackson has adopted policies for temporary traffic control in accordance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Please review the Temporary Traffic Control Guidelines for Street Projects (PDF).
All land disturbance that may cause sediment to leave the site to streets, creeks, drainage ways, storm sewers, or to other properties must be protected with effective erosion control measures. Erosion control measures must be installed immediately upon commencement of work and must be maintained throughout the project, with self-inspection after each rain event.